The Puente Nuevo of Ronda constitutes, together with the Bullring of the Royal Cavalry Order of Ronda, the symbol and soul of the city. That is why it has been declared Natural Monument of Andalusia in April 2019.
There were two big projects for the realization of this work. The first one, in 1735, under the reign of Felipe Quinto, consisted of an arch of 35 metres in diameter. The work lasted only 8 months, but it was unsuccessful because six years later it collapsed, causing the death of about 50 people.
A few years later the work began, specifically in 1751 and ended in May 1793, coinciding with the celebration of the Royal May Fair in Ronda. In total, more than 40 years were invested, being the architect Don José Martín de Aldehuela, native of the Teruel town of Manzanera, at the head of the works.
This 98-metre high masterpiece, built in stone ashlars taken from the bottom of the Tajo gorge, enabled the connection of the modern quarter or Market with the old quarter of the city and made possible the urban expansion of the city. From its balconies, the views of the houses hanging over the very edge of the cliff are spectacular. It has three bodies formed by semicircular arches; the lower one acts as a stirrup; the second one is large, flanked by two buttresses, from which the arches of the side streets of the upper body start. The central street is a barrel-vaulted enclosure with two balconies.